Many of you have asked about the level of damage and the future of our business. Hereby we would like to provide you with a small update.

First off, we would like to thank everyone again for their concern and kind messages. It’s those messages that aided us in making this decision. Messages about how we created unforgettable experiences for your family or friends. Not only do we want to help rebuild SXM, we want to keep doing what we do best. Creating a special day for our customers!

We will do everything in our power to restart business as soon as possible. At this moment, all charters up to November 15th are cancelled. People who have made day reservations with us for any other date can freely choose to keep or cancel their booking. Please send us an email if you have any questions regarding your reservation. Note that we are currently NOT available by phone.

I would like to assure you that we will provide full refunds for people who choose to cancel their day reservation and we will live up to our promises. Refunds will be processed as soon as we have a credit card machine again, we ask for your patience.